Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas Photo Cubes...


I was inspired a few weeks ago by these cute paper photo cubes from Style Burb that I saw on Pinterest, so I pinned the photo and wrote it on my "to do" list!

I'm visiting family this week, but last week I had some time so I got busy. Instead of making them out of a paper template as suggested on Style Burb, I chose to buy 1 1/2" wooden blocks and Mod Podge the photos on the cubes along with some festive scrapbook papers.


Here's what you'll need for the project:

1.5" Wooden blocks (they are actually slightly smaller in size than advertised)
Mod Podge and a paint brush
Scrapbook papers
Cropped (square) photos of family members
Optional: Brown stamp pad for distressing block
Optional: 1 3/16" square paper punch

One and a half inch wooden blocks can be purchased at Hobby Lobby in a package of six for $2.99. They can also be purchased individually at Michael's for $.99 each. I started by distressing the outside edge of my wooden blocks by running the edges along a brown stamp pad...


Then I used a square hole punch to punch out some squares of scrapbook paper...


I went to my computer and found pictures of each member of our family. I cropped the pictures to make square close-ups. I inserted those photos into a Word document, sized them, printed them off and used my hole punch to make nice little square photos. I printed two pictures of each individual per wooden block. Examples of some of those photos are below...


Then I started the job of Mod Podging the photos and scrapbook papers onto each cube. I thought this was going to be very tedius, but it went surprisingly fast. I Mod Podged a couple sides at a time on each block and allowed a little drying time in between applications. Soon I had something like this...




I'm going to use these for holiday decorations and games at Christmastime, but I also think blocks like these would be a fun gift for a toddler!  I made 25 of these little cubes. That's how many members are in our immediate family. What's more they are all coming for Christmas {gulp}. That's right, all of our kids and grandkids will be home for the holidays. {I've begun taking a multi-vitamin with extra Iron in preparation.} I'm so excited!


The above photo made me hum the tune, "O Tannenbaum," which is about the only thing I remember from my three years of German in high school. ;o)

6 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very cute Suzanne! I retained an equal amount from my high school German classes!

Mia said...

Those are so cute! I think the kids will have so much fun looking at those and naming everyone.

Bonecrusher said...

I see that Ellie has already worked her way up to near-Zoey-levels. That's impressive! On a serious note, that is a cute idea and very well done.

Jess said...

Very cool. Simple yet stylish.

p.s.phyllis sews said...

What a great idea and the display in the large glass jar really creative! Taking an idea and stretching it to something else is sooooooo fun! Congratulations!

redrabbit said...

Hi,I create and order the photocubes from printsgram.com.I f you use instagram,you can create and make your own cuttycubes..