Monday, July 18, 2011

Bloomin' Tuesday . . .

There's one in every crowd. You know the type. The one who craves attention and wants everyone's focus directed entirely on him. Right around the time my "Forever Stella" daylilies are starting to wane, out pops this attention grabber. When I bought my daylilies and planted them, this particular daylily was mislabeled. I planted him smack dab in the middle of the bunch. His foliage is about the same size as my Stellas, but his blooms shoot two feet higher than those around him. Geesh.


I will admit, however, that he is pretty good looking...


We've had very warm weather the last couple of weeks. Most of my garden is aching for a little relief, but some shade plants seem to do well with a little extra heat. My impatiens have finally filled in the area around my birdie fountain...


Can you see the hitchhiker on one of the birds?



With the warmer days my morning glory have started to sprout and climb. Their beautiful little faces give me so much pleasure. The rich bluish-purple variety below is one of my favorites. It's called "Grandpa Ott."




These flowers reseed themselves yearly, so I hardly have to plant any seeds each year. I know in certain climates morning glories are a noxious weed, but in Colorado they completely die back each fall, so they are considered a desirable plant.


Below is a new variety that I planted this year. Their flowers are small -- only about one and a half inches wide. Aren't they gorgeous?


Later this summer, I'll highlight the morning glories again. They are most beautiful toward the end of the summer.

For more gardening posts go here:
Bloomin' Tuesday @ Ms. Green Thumb Jeans's
Garden Tuesday @ Sidewalk Shoes
Tuesday Garden @ An Oregon Cottage

21 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your Morning Glories are wonderful Suzanne!

Connie said...

I so enjoy your flower posts. I live in an area that the morning glories are not considered a desirable plant to have, they can be very invasive here. Yours are so pretty though, it has me rethinking planting them. I didn't know they came in such pretty colors.

~~Rhonda said...

Thanks for sharing your garden! The taller daylily looks like 'Bonanza' but there are quite a few with a similar look. The morning glories are beautiful. Love the color of the dark blue one! ~~Rhonda

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Suzanne,
Your impatients are beautiful!! I think the last time I visited your blog your whole place was full of snow!! haha. It sure is beautiful now!
Happy Bloomin' Tuesday.
Hugs, Ann

Kim said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I just finished a post on my blog (adamssquared.blogspot.com) dedicated to your wonderful ideas!

daisy said...

Beautiful blooms! Aren't morning glories just wonderful? So cheery!

Zoey said...

I love the happy little faces of morning glories. I planted some seeds this year, but they did not survive, so it was a treat to see your.

Also love the markings on the tall lily.

perennialgardener said...

I love those Morning Glories growing on your fence Suzanne. They would surely take over here that's for sure. :)

Rosemary said...

Lovely flowers; isn't there something refreshing about the blooms of morning glory.....

Julie said...

Yes, here in south florida, morning gloies are non-stop...but still beautiful! Love all your variety!!!

Carol said...

Love the bird fountain and the morning glories are lovely!

Country Gal said...

So pretty! Morning glories in the flower garden are beautiful. Morning glories in the vegetable garden are weeds! :)

Becca's Dirt said...

Don't think I've ever seen those morning glory's before and I love the colors. You patch of impatiens with the fountain is stunning. You lucky girl to have so much pretty's to look at.

Beverly said...

I always smile when I see Morning Glories intentionally cultivated. I grew up on a farm here in Tennessee and they were considered one of those noxious plants as you mentioned. Part of my chores as a young girl was to take a hoe and chop out the morning glory roots and then pull out the vining plant. We collected these in a bucket and dumped them in piles to burn! So, as you can imagine, I have never intentionally cultivated them. It has been tempting somewhat this year, though when I was pulling weeds out of the vegetable garden to try to take one of them and transplant it somewhere to enjoy the beautiful blue blooms. Yours are beautiful!

Jean said...

Amazing Morning Glories! I thought The first was my favorite until I scrolled down and saw the others. Now I don't have a favorite. Beautiful! Jean

Pam said...

Oh, I love morning glories. My hubby won't let me plant any because they go crazy. Thanks for linking up!

rosesandgargoyles said...

Gorgeous! Your tall daylily looks alot like Black-Eyed Stella.
Jeanni

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Everything looks just gorgeous. What great luck with your mislabeled day lillie. When that happens to me, it usually doesn't work out. ;o)

I enjoyed "visiting" your garden this week. Thanks for sharing.

Abby said...

Morning Glories are just the best. I love the third picture you have, what a unique flower!

Deb said...

That bright blue morning glory is something else!! Mine are white and just going every-which-way! I love how yours are climbing. All your flowers are lovely. We were given a basket of impatiens this spring...I have no place to put them out of the sun--we mostly have full sun everyplace. I kept them in the hanging basket and they're sitting in the little 5" overhang of the garage door's shade to survive. Maybe I should have re-gifted them!

Judy ~ Through My Garden Window said...

Your Morning Glories are so vivid! I can never get them to grow fast enough to bloom. You must have the right touch for them.

My Impatiens were a little slow in coming around this year also - I'm wondering if it's from all the rain we had in May and June.

Every year's a new year when it comes to gardening.