Saturday, June 25, 2011

Thankful Thoughts . . .

What inspired me this week? 

Last Sunday I was given an assignment by a teacher in Relief Society (the women's organization in my church). She asked me to do a good deed this week -- specifically to help someone in need -- and then report back during her lesson this Sunday. The teacher's inspiration for this assignment came from a familiar hymn entitled "Have I Done Any Good?"

The hymn begins with a question...
Have I done any good in the world today?

It then asks...
Have I helped anyone in need?

Finally the hymn lists different ways we can be of service to those around us...
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

When I was given this assignment I didn't know it would inspire me like it did. As I went throughout the week, replaying this song in my head and heart, I began to look for opportunities to serve. Instead of waiting for service opportunities to fall in my lap like I often do, I made a concerted effort to search for ways to be of service to those I love and to show random acts of kindness to strangers. As a result, my week was more meaningful and worthwhile. There's something to be said about getting outside of yourself and being more attentive to those around you. I realized that by praying for opportunities to be of service at the start of the day and asking the question, "Did I help someone in need?" each night, it helped me to concentrate more on those in need. I have a really long way to get where I'd like to be in this department, but I appreciated the nudge I was given by a caring teacher.

What moved me this week?

I had a most amazing experience this week. Do you remember back in April when I announced how busy our summer would be? I mentioned at that time that we had three grandbabies due this summer -- one due in June, one in July and one in August. Our little June grandbaby arrived Friday night, and I was invited to be there for the little guy's grand entrance into the world. I was so proud as I watched my youngest deliver her first child. The courage and love she displayed was so touching, and it moved me to a place I'd never been. I'm so grateful that my daughter and her husband gave me that experience. I thought you might like to see a picture of our ninth grandchild minutes after he was born. It's easy to be moved when you look into the face of an angel...