Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's Bloomin' Tuesday . . .

Let me start by reminding you to go here for the July Plaque Attack. Now on to Bloomin' Tuesday!

There's little I enjoy more than biting into a just-picked fruit or vegetable in the summer. We have fruit trees in our backyard that produce apples, pears, cherries and peaches. I'm convinced our cherry tree feeds the squirrel and bird population in our town. I submit the following photo as evidence...


We also always plant a variety of tomatoes, herbs and strawberries...



A few weeks ago my husband and I had an extra day and a half before we flew home from our vacation in North Carolina, so we visited Williamsburg in Virginia. I was fascinated with the recreated period flower and vegetable gardens in Colonial Williamsburg. These gardens were originally owned by the colonial merchant or tradesmen. Behind their homes, they planted small orchards and vegetable gardens with herbs and flowers scattered throughout. Their recreation is evident in the naturalistic gardens found in Williamsburg today. Here's an example of what we saw...



While these gardens are recreations, they convey the spirit and character of eighteenth century gardens. I love the way they used natural substances to shore up their gardens -- like these stick-like trusses for the squash and tomatoes plants.


These boxes contained squash plants. The lid could be lowered in case of frost...


English colonists brought with them different seeds, bulbs, and roots of their favorite flowers, so their flower gardens became a combination of those Old World favorites and the native plants (American wildflowers) they found in the New World..




These beautiful gardens inspired me. 

If you'd like to visiting more gardens, 
go to Ms. Green Thumb Jeans for more Bloomin' Tuesday posts.


17 comments:

Chris said...

HAHAAA on the photo of the squirrel! I am battling the voles who LOVE my flowers and eat them all in the dark of night! :) We live only 20 min from Williamsburg!!! I would have loved to meet you there, if only for a few minutes to say hello and meet you in real life. :( We often go there to walk the streets and just relax, or ride our bikes through the town. Every July 4th we take the kids and a picnic dinner and watch fire works, they have the BEST ever!! Maybe one day I'll meet you there?! :)

Katrina said...

I am so jealous of the squirrel and all of the other little critters who get to snack on your beautiful fruits and veggies. Your garden looks wonderful. Those tomatoes are amazing.

Julie said...

Oh Suzanne, I'm so glad you were able to visit Colonial Williamsburg. I love it there. Your garden looks wonderful. I especially like that healthy basil. I just killed mine. :(

Rosemary said...

Pesky critters are squirrels stealing all the cherries.
After the lovely tour of Williamsburg gardens I wonder how the settlers kept squirrels away from their fruit.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Suzanne,

I just enjoyed your post so much! What a wonderful picture of your squirrel friend. Beautiful fruit trees and so inviting. My brother lives in Virginia so I have been to Colonial Williamsburg many times. Isn't it just beautiful there? Have a great day!

daisy said...

Your fruits and veggies look fab-oo!

How blessed you are to have visited Williamsburg. It's on my yet-to-visit list.

Reading your profile, you look waaaaaaaaaaay too young to be a grandma!

perennialgardener said...

You weren't far from where I live Suzanne. I love the gardens in Colonial Williamburg. :)

Bet said...

I'm also a fan of the colonial gardens in Williamsburg.

I feel for you with the squirrel problem. I'm having a battle with chipmunks who keep stealing my bird seed.

Jean said...

Suzanne, Great post! I really enjoyed seeing these gardens from another day. I'd love to bite into that beautiful apple! Jean

deborah said...

What a great inspiration. I love the gardens! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment!

☆☆Mumsy said...

Your fruit trees are feeding people and critters. Squirrels are the peskiest ones around my garden too.

What an enjoyable post!

JC said...

Williamsburg is so great! I loved seeing your photos! Makes me want to wear a cotton dress=)
~JC Jackson

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What gorgeous gardens!

Deila said...

I love these gardens. And the squirrel -- he must be happy.

Queen of The Desert said...

It looks like the squirrel is really enjoying the sweet cherries, lovely gardens.

Deb said...

Hi Suzanne, You captured a great squirrel picture! If only you could capture the squirrel, right?!! We used to live a mile down the road from CW and would go there all the time. We lived there for 10 years and have been away for 9. So I especially LOVED seeing all the places that are so familiar to me! Loved the gardens there. Thanks for your post. (And the first commenter--Chris--is my friend who we would meet for 4th of July fireworks!)

Tolentreasures said...

What beautiful pictures. I haven't been to Colonial Willimaburg in many years. Love all those gardens!

Cathy