Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hello Gorgeous...

As you know, this last week I've been focusing on creating a few items for my soon-to-be-born granddaughter. I whipped up a Dwipe, some burpies, and yesterday I concentrated on making some pretties. Could there be anything more fun to concentrate on? I think not.

Let me start at the beginning... A couple of weeks ago I was perusing the isles at Hobby Lobby and came upon these adorable ready-made crocheted baby hats and headbands. Yowsa! I gulped. Looked around. And piled as many as I could into my shopping cart. I know a good thing when I see it.


Aren't they cute? But even better did you get a good look at the price? Yes, that's $3.99 for the hat and $.99 for the headband. Clear and simple -- it's a jackpot. As I looked at these beauties I began to dream of all the different ways that I could make them even better!


Last year I created a flower pattern and offered it to anyone interested. Over the months I've had hundreds of people email me for the pattern. To learn about the creation of this flower, just go here. In that post I will explain how to make one of these flowers. You'll have to email me (my email address is on the sidebar of this blog) for the pattern of the flower if you'd like it. By requesting the pattern I would ask that you agree not to sell the pattern for profit. I love to share.

Anywho... I started with the embellishment of this baby hat, by rifling through my synthetic fabric supplies. I chose two complimentary fabrics. The first was a deep raspberry-colored fabric with a satiny sheen and the second was a raspberry-colored gauzy, sparkly chiffon concoction. It doesn't matter the type of fabric as long as it is synthetic, although different fabrics will give your flowers a totally different look. Instead of cutting just one piece of fabric for each "petal" from my pattern, I cut two from the heavier satiny fabric and one from the chiffon from each pattern piece.


This is a high-maintenance flower to make, but when it is finished
you can't help but be delighted with the result.

Hello Gorgeous... 


I then tacked this big ol' flower onto this adorable little hat and this beeeauuuu-ti-ful creation was born. The flower probably cost all of about $.50 to make, so the total cost of the project was about $4.50. The flower is almost 4 inches in diameter!


I've made flowers to adorn the hair, pillows and lapels, but I'm quite sure there is no better use for a flower than to put it smack dab on the side of a little baby bonnet! Be still my heart...


I love these big, full flowers. They remind me of the camellias we had in our yard in California when I was a little girl. So pretty...


Over the next couple of days I'll share a few more of the little hats and headbands I'll be creating!
Update: Go here to see more creations.
 
Have a great day! 

Hey All - Here's a scoop that a reader, Shirley, mentioned in a comment. The Ribbon Retreat carries those same hats and headbands for even less. Go here for the hats at $2.25 each -- and here for the headbands at around $.70.

Linked to:
Visit thecsiproject.com
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show & Share Day @ Just a Girl
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Hookin' Up with House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @ The Shappy Chic Cottage
Get Your Craft on Thursday @ Life as Lori
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design