Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Recovering Cushions for another Glider Rocker...


A few weeks ago I gave a much needed face lift to a worn out glider rocker in our play room. When that project was completed, I knew I needed to transpose another glider rocker that we had in our study. The upholstery was tired and old and in need of replacing...


I scoured the internet and finally came upon a few fabrics that I thought I might like, so I ordered some swatches. 


Clockwise, starting top left:

Ordering the fabric swatches was a really good move. There's nothing like seeing the prints in person. I chose Swavelle Mill Creek Donnetta Aspen for a couple of reasons. First, I liked the hint of green in the fabric, and, second, I loved how the fabric mimicked the accent wall I had already painted in the study...


I recovered the existing cushions the same way I've always done it. Go here for a tutorial. Here's the finished project.


A side note: The true color of the fabric is somewhere in between the color on the fabric swatch and the colors shown in the recovered cushions. There's a hint of taupe/green in the fabric.

My favorite part of the cushions is the tufted covered buttons on the top cushion...


It feels good to check another project off the list. Here's the "before and after" photo we all love to see...


It cost about $30 to refinish these cushions -- $22 for the fabric and $8 for the buttons. It's amazing what a difference can be made with such a small amount of money!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Beautiful fabric and beautiful job!! Now that rocker is ready to rock many more grandbabies for many more hours! :)

ga447 said...

Great transformation, I wish I saved my glider now.

Kathleen OGrady said...

Wow, great job! I have a sofa and loveseat I bet you could make look amazing...ha,ha!

hungryhippie said...

That looks so amazing now! Great job!