Thursday, November 29, 2012

"Stenciling" Walls...


I've been working this week on a detailed project in our computer room. Here's the scoop...


It's taken me about 8 hours to get 2/3 of the wall done, but I love it. This wall in our study has been totally transformed by this stencil. Because we have texture on our wall, called "orange peel", I can't stencil this wall like you might normally -- with a roller. Because the texture lifts the stencil in spots, the paint gets underneath the stencil and creates a disaster with a detailed stencil such as this. Instead, I've put the stencil on the wall, traces around it lightly with a pencil, and then taken a little 3/8" paintbrush and painted the design on the wall. It's been labor intensive, but not difficult, and the result has been worth the time spent. I figure I've got a couple more days worth of work ahead of me and then it will be done! Yay!


10 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Yup - not stenciling, but beatiful!

Donna Heber said...

Suzanne,

You have the patience of a saint! Your wall looks amazing and it was well worth every minute. Enjoy your new design.

ds said...

Looks beautiful! I wouldn't have the patience but obviously this is a labor of love and looks gorgeous.

Shannon said...

Looks beautiful!

kr said...

gorgeous! when you first post your ideas, I'm always a little hesitant as to how it'll look, but, they always come out so beautiful that I want to try it myself. You're amazingly talented!

Gail said...

It looks great, Suzanne!

Chris said...

Wow your wall is beautiful! I admire your diligence and your skill! Are you SURE you won't come to paint in my house?! :)

Renee said...

AMAZING! I love it.

Nana said...

It looks awesome Suzanne! I love that stencil.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

beautiful Suzanne!
I stenciled with paint (not a brush) but one of those large stencils...my bedroom mirror. I planned to do all three, but after 5 hours I only finished one. that was last year. Still only one is done, thankfully it was the middle of the three.
good luck girl!
gail