Wednesday, January 19, 2011

{skirt spurt}

I've had a burst of sewing activity today, but let me start at the beginning... Is it just me or have you noticed that there is a dearth of women's casual cotton skirts on the market these days? (Please don't tell me I'm totally out of style, cause I love cotton skirts.) Three to five years ago you could go into any clothing store and find a myriad of casual skirts to choose from. These days the stores I'm frequenting aren't carrying any. (A sure indication that I am totally out of style, but when you're 54 years old style isn't your only consideration -- comfort is right up there at the top of the list. It's one of the blessings of reaching a ripe old age. You can march to the beat of your own drum and be perfectly comfortable.) There's nothing I like better than a skirt and a cardigan with a little tee. So comfortable. Today I decided to remedy the situation. I sew all the time, but I can't remember the last time I sewed an article of clothing for myself. I was a little skeptical it would all work out, so I went to Hobby Lobby for some less-expensive fabric, picked out a pattern, and skedaddled home. Here's the pattern I chose...

Do you see the words "Easy to Sew" on the pattern? They were not kidding. This went together in no time. It's a really great pattern for beginners. 


I love a skirt that rests on your hips rather than at your waist, and this one fits the bill in that department...


Combine it with a cardigan and a tee and you have a casual, comfortable outfit...


Gratefully, the skirt fits perfectly. The pattern is very similar to a skirt that I already own, so when I took the pattern out of the envelope I put the pattern pieces up to the skirt I own and chose the pattern size that matched best. It ended up being 1 size larger than I would have chosen if had gone by the size I normally buy in a store. Odd, but it worked out just fine.


I have another piece of fabric that I bought today ready to be whipped into another one of these lovelies! Can't wait to have two new skirts in my closet! This skirt cost about $12 for the materials (fabric, thread, zipper). That's another reason I'm happy!

18 comments:

claudia b said...

Love the fabric you chose! I need to get out my patterns, but I need to hold off until the boys's jammies are done, waaa!

Julie Harward said...

I great reason to be happy and a beautiful skirt indeed..love it! :D

Karena said...

LOve the fabric....I have not sewn for so long!! Really great!

Come and join my giveaway from Blydesign

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Agi said...

Lovely skirt! I have a similar pattern lying around, perhaps I should also give it a go. (I'm a little scared of patterns) LOL

Mandy said...

That is a great skirt! I should really learn to sew. I'd much prefer a skirt any day and this is the perfect style!

Amy said...

Lovely skirt! And I guess it doesn't matter what age you are when the skirt is as beautiful as that one! I've been meaning to make some for my daughter, but maybe she just got bumped down the list again ;)
xoxo,
Amy

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

I love the skirt. And I totally agree I love to wear comfy cotton skirts too! If you are looking to make yourself some more, you should really check out the book: Sew What! Skirts. They teach you how to draft your own pattern and how to make the skirts, they are so easy and they have a bunch of different ideas. I love it. I've made myself lots of really cute skirts from it.

~Rosanne said...

I was at Hobby Lobby today too, but even though I did buy some burlap, most of my purchases were in the cake department.
Growinf up my mom "the seamstress" made all of my dresses and even though I tried a time or two it just didn't click for me, but you have me seriously considering breaking out that Bernina that is barely used and trying a skirt or pillow. If or when that happens your blog will be here next to the sewing machine so I can stay inspired.
Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Princess Danell said...

I sew agree! I am a skirt and cardi gal too. Haha. It use to be easier to find a skirt than make one. Nice fabric can be so expensive. But yours is beautiful. I might have to get that pattern. I'm finishing a tshirt with ruffled details. I think I need to make a skirt to go with it. Thanks for the share! Hope you don't mind if we are twins. I'll call you when I wear mine!

Chris said...

Hey I agree 100% with the skirt and cardigan idea! Most of my wardrobe is sweaters and skirts. I too like the ones that sit on your hips and are a little "flowy". I found a pattern last summer that was great and made several of them. Used some really nice chocolate brown light weight linen and a cute beachy floral. The hardest part was finding the right tee, surprising huh?! Thanks for the pattern number, gona go check that one out. Hey maybe there are more skirt girls out there than you think...atleast ones that are over 50 and want comfort AND style! lol (I turn 52 this spring). GLad you had a nice time with your new grandbaby, welcome back and have "fun" with the remodel!!

Tina said...

I love your skirt and the fabric is gorgeous, Suzanne! I am hoping that we can get that Simplicity pattern here as it is just the type of skirt I wear! Now to learn to put in zippers !!! Wish we lived closer so I could get some tips from you. I hope you don't mind, but I used your gorgeous owl tutorial to make a special project today. Hope you are having a wonderful week ~ Tina xx

Autum said...

I love your skirt! Great fabric choice.
I agree, skirts are great with a cardigan or tee shirt. Especially when it's hot out. Much more comfortable than jeans.

Lisalulu said...

a. what a great idea, especially for warm weather!
b. GREAT pattern, I'll have to check that out
c. 54... me too!!!

Taren said...

You are definitely not out of style! I think once spring comes you will find more cotton skirts. I love the fabric you chose and I love cotton skirts....pretty much all I own. Cute!

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Suzanne,
I love the fabric you found. I like to wear skirts with sweaters and my boots...must have something to do with being 54. Anyway, I'm kinda in the mood to sew too. Thanks for the inspiration.

Happy Weekend. ~Natalie

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I adore that skirt and the fabric is so fun and fresh. Looks so cute with the sweater and T. I might have to try that little project.

Rissa said...

Oh lovely! I keep toying with the idea of making myself a skirt or two - definitely need a beginners pattern like this to start with! lol

Renee said...

I'm totally doing this!