Wednesday, January 19, 2011

{skirt spurt}

I've had a burst of sewing activity today, but let me start at the beginning... Is it just me or have you noticed that there is a dearth of women's casual cotton skirts on the market these days? (Please don't tell me I'm totally out of style, cause I love cotton skirts.) Three to five years ago you could go into any clothing store and find a myriad of casual skirts to choose from. These days the stores I'm frequenting aren't carrying any. (A sure indication that I am totally out of style, but when you're 54 years old style isn't your only consideration -- comfort is right up there at the top of the list. It's one of the blessings of reaching a ripe old age. You can march to the beat of your own drum and be perfectly comfortable.) There's nothing I like better than a skirt and a cardigan with a little tee. So comfortable. Today I decided to remedy the situation. I sew all the time, but I can't remember the last time I sewed an article of clothing for myself. I was a little skeptical it would all work out, so I went to Hobby Lobby for some less-expensive fabric, picked out a pattern, and skedaddled home. Here's the pattern I chose...

Do you see the words "Easy to Sew" on the pattern? They were not kidding. This went together in no time. It's a really great pattern for beginners. 


I love a skirt that rests on your hips rather than at your waist, and this one fits the bill in that department...


Combine it with a cardigan and a tee and you have a casual, comfortable outfit...


Gratefully, the skirt fits perfectly. The pattern is very similar to a skirt that I already own, so when I took the pattern out of the envelope I put the pattern pieces up to the skirt I own and chose the pattern size that matched best. It ended up being 1 size larger than I would have chosen if had gone by the size I normally buy in a store. Odd, but it worked out just fine.


I have another piece of fabric that I bought today ready to be whipped into another one of these lovelies! Can't wait to have two new skirts in my closet! This skirt cost about $12 for the materials (fabric, thread, zipper). That's another reason I'm happy!