Friday, October 03, 2008

Our Story . . .

Since my husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary this week and since some of you requested to know, I'll go ahead and tell the story behind #7 of the post below...

In the Fall of 1974 I was a freshman attending college in California. That semester I was enrolled in a sociology class. The second week of class our professor gave us a rather unusual assignment. (This professor was a little odd -- a 1960's throw-back, hippie-type.) The assignment given was that we were supposed to walk up to a total stranger, tell the person "I love you" and record their response. I went back to my dorm room a little frustrated. I didn't want to fulfill this assignment and embarrass myself. After talking it over with my roommate, I decided to call a stranger on the phone rather than approach them directly. That way I could fulfill the assignment and record a response, but I wouldn't have to worry about the person recognizing me several weeks down the road. I picked up the dorm directory and started scanning down a page. I randomly chose a name and made the call. A young man answered the phone and I asked if I could speak to Mark. The young man said, "one minute," and went to get him. Then I heard another "hello." With as much boldness as I could muster I said, "I love you!" There was silence on the other end of the line...lots of silence. I said it again -- this time with more feeling. "I love you!" More silence and then this rather innocuous response, "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" Because I was trying to fulfill an assignment, I simply said, "Respond!" He then asked, "Who is this?" Embarrassed by my remarks I hung up the phone. A couple more phone calls were made before I was able to get a recordable response and the experience was soon forgotten.

Several months later I began attending church and met a young man named Mark. We began to get to know one another and soon we began seeing each other regularly. Several weeks after meeting Mark I was with him and his roommate and they began to tell me about the crazy girls enrolled at our college. They began to speak about one girl in particular, a stranger, who had called Mark at the beginning of the year claiming love and devotion and issuing the statement "I love you!" Something clicked in my mind and I said, "I know what that was about. She probably had the same class I had..." It was then I made the connection that I had never made previously between the name that I had called at the beginning of the school year and the young man who was sitting in front of me. I realized at that time that it was Mark that I had called. Mark and his roommate really didn't believe me when I told them the story, so I had to take them back to my dorm room and have my roommate verify my side of the story without her knowing why.

So...the first words I ever said to the man who became my husband were, "I love you."

16 comments:

Megan said...

That is awesome! It is amazing how fate guides us without us knowing!

devri said...

That is a great story,thanks for sharing... I will share mine one day and you will laugh all night long and wonder how we ended up together.

Keep it coming, your rad!!!

Kristi Chase said...

What an incredible story! It is the prefect beginning to a great love story. Good luck with all the wedding stuff.

Renna said...

Ah, it was fate, meant to be. How sweet! :-)

GinGin said...

OMG,that is the best story!! I have been reading these wonderful stories of love this early morning. It was God's plan of course. What a neat one!!!! GinGin

Rosie's Whimsy said...

OMGOSH!!!! That story gave me goose bumps! There are no coincidences.....just the Hand of God at work!

Jan said...

amazing. Absolutely amazing. I can't even take this one in. Love it!

Pudgeduck said...

GREAT STORY! Don't think this one will be topped!!

Jean said...

This is a super story! Love it! Jean

Melody said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing!!

MiaKatia said...

Still love this story!

Judy said...

Without doubt, this is the most amazing story I've ever heard regarding how two people "hook up." Unbelievable. You have a lot more moxie than I do. I definitely would have flunked the assignment.

Grammy said...

That is amazing. It was like destine for you to meet. I can see how it would be hard to walk up to a stranger and say those words also.

Jennifer said...

That's a great story. I hope your professor gave you an "A" in that class.

Tins and Treasures said...

So fun to hear...I'll bet your kids asked you to tell that one over and over!

Kristine said...

That is truly hilarious! I'm so glad you shared it!