Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bloomin' Tuesday...


Last week it rained and rained, then it rained some more. Everyone around here was getting a wee bit nervous because the 2013 flood in Colorado is still fresh on our minds. I bought a few lovelies to plant in containers last week, but wasn't even able to pot them because of the downpour and the snow we received on Sunday. {Nothing says "Happy Mother's Day" like snow. Ugh.}

This week, however, is a different story. The sun is out -- 70 degree temps during the day are expected -- and I'm itching to get my hands in some dirt!


I'm mixing it up a bit on the patio. Instead of all "Thrill, Spill & Fill" containers, I'm buying some stand-alone plants for some containers. These plants don't make it through the winter in Colorado, but we will enjoy them as annuals for spring, summer and fall. Plants like: hibiscus {above}, fuchias, and honeysuckle bushes. We can pretend like we live in the tropics with a few of those beauties on our patio!

We humans felt a little waterlogged last week, but all the perennials in my garden were in rainwater heaven. 



Several years ago I planted one little succulent in my garden. I'd always loved "hens and chicks", but never had any. Apparently hens are quite prolific because at least 30 chicks have sprouted from that mother plant. You can see some of them below...


Which leads me to another planting. A couple of years ago I used one of our birdbaths as a planter. You might remember that I planted some beautiful succulents in that birdbath...


Last week I decided to use the birdbath again for that purpose. I gathered up a few of the little chicks that have grown around the base of the birdbath and supplemented those with more succulents that I was given for Mother's Day and some more that I bought at Home Depot...




It's really the perfect spot for a succulent garden because it doesn't get watered with the other plants on our drip or sprinkler system. Succulents only need an occasional sip of water, so once a week I sprinkle them and they are good to go. I'll be anxious to see how they do this summer.