Monday, May 06, 2013

Vintage Dresses...


A few weeks ago my husband and I flew to California for a special event. My mother was celebrating her 90th birthday, so we spent the weekend with her. As a surprise for my mom our children also came from all over the U.S. to be in on the festivities. It was an amazing weekend. Here's a four generation photo of my granddaughter, my daughter, my mother and me. My mother is so beautiful, isn't she?


While there my mother gave my daughters two dresses that she had kept safe for years. They were her mother's (my grandmother's) dresses. We asked the girls to try them on to see if they fit. We were amazed that they seemed to be made just for them...


My daughter Jillian was given a gorgeous black velvet three piece dress. The sleeves were made of beautiful lace and the pocket (you can't really see it in the photo) has beautiful beading...


My daughter Shannon had visited my mother in December. While there Shannon found this beautiful beaded dress and instantly fell in love. The dress was my grandmother Lillie's wedding dress. Lillie was married in 1922 -- so the dress is 91 years old and in perfect condition. The beading and ribbon work on this dress is so amazing...


Shannon is also modeling a {real} 90 year old fox stole.
Don't judge -- they did things differently back then.
;o)


Since many of those who read my blog are sewers, I thought you might like to see these vintage dresses. I know that my daughters consider their great-grandmother's dresses beautiful treasures, and they were so grateful to be gifted them.


11 comments:

Sandy said...

What beautiful dresses, thanks so much for sharing them. You definitely don't see workmanship like that anymore!

Jboo said...

Happy birthday to your Mother -- she is very beautiful! What a wonderful celebration to have all of you there with her. Love the vintage dresses -- those are stunning!

Happy in red said...

That flapper dress is breath takingly beautiful!!
Esther.

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Someone did a FABULOUS job of preserving those dresses!! How fun for your daughters!

Lesa said...

The dresses fit them perfectly!
very cool!

Julie said...

True treasures!

Elizabeth said...

What an amazing gift to still be able to celebrate your mother at 90! My mother is 88 and we are so grateful to have her and her health.

The dresses are another amazing gift. Wow! They will be family treasures for sure.

Tammy said...

Considering how prudish everyone was at the time, The embroidery on Shannon's dress is very daring! I imagine your Grandmothers dress would have caused many wagging tongues at the time! (Meaning lots of people to talk about the dress)

Lisa M said...

Exquisite dresses. How lovely for your daughters to be able to actually wear their Great-Grandmother's clothes. Black velvet and lace, such a luxurious combination, and the bead work on the wedding dress is magnificent. The fox stole is completely appropriate and should be treasured without any feelings of guilt, because as you said, they did do things differently back then.

Donna said...

What a great opportunity for your family to get together and share these great dresses (and I'm sure many memories)! You have a beautiful family.

Shelise said...

It's so amazing to see dresses from that time in real life (or in other words, through pictures on a blog (: ). It almost felt like I could really be seeing back into that time period. Amazing. Beautiful dresses. Beautiful women.