Monday, July 16, 2012

Ruffled Bib Tutorial and Pattern...

UPDATE
After offering my "Ruffled Bib" pattern to the faithful readers of my blog for several weeks free of charge, I am now offering the pattern in my Etsy store for the reasonable price of $5. For that charge I will send you the pattern in a PDF document and this blog post will be used for the assembly instructions.


Last week I introduced a new creation -- the "Ruffled Bib!"


Today I will demonstrate how to make these little-girl bibs. This pattern is a quick and easy sewing project -- just follow the simple instructions below. At the end of the post you will discover how you can request the pattern. As you can see from the photo above, one can make a variety of bibs using the same cotton fabric or contrasting fabrics. 


Materials: 
  • Cut two "front side panels" from any 100% cotton fabric
  • Cut one "front middle panel" from any 100% cotton fabric
  • Cut one "bib back" from any 100 % cotton fabric
  • Cut two strips of 100% cotton fabric 2" x 14" for the ruffle
  • Cut one "bib back" from 100% cotton quilt batting (I recommend "Warm & Natural")
  • Three itty-bitty buttons
  • Thread
  • Snap (Option: Velcro)
  • Note: Seam allowances change throughout the project, so pay special attention to that detail.


  • Before you begin sewing:

    1.) Preparing the ruffle: Fold the 2" x 14" pieces in half lengthwise and press. Then make tiny marks (or mark with a pin) on the unfinished edges of the strips  3.5", 7" and 10.5" from one end (see below). The markings on the ruffle divide the ruffle into quarters, which will enable you to distribute the fabric evenly on the front side panels.


    The Ruffle: 

    1.)  Pin unfinished edge of ruffle to front side panel at both ends. Place the middle of the ruffle (the 7" mark) at the middle of the side panel, distribute the fabric evenly at the 3.5" and 10.5" marks.


    2.) Very important... Make sure the top folded edge of the ruffle meets the edge of the side panel as shown with the arrow in the photo below...


    3.) Continue distributing the fabric evenly. Don't be afraid to use a lot of pins -- this will make tiny little tucks which will be more appealing than larger ruffles.


    4.) When you are finished pinning the ruffle to the side panel you can either sew a straight line 1/4" from the edge of the seam to tack the ruffle in place, or, if you are a more accomplished sewer,  you can simply lay the middle panel over the ruffle and pins and pin all three layers together and sew. If you keep the pins in place on the ruffle, sew the layers together very slowly to avoid breaking your sewing machine needle. ;o)


    5.) Use a 1/2 inch seam allowance to sew the middle panel to the ruffle and side panel.


    6.) Remove all the pins and press the seam toward the middle panel...


    7.) Repeat steps 1-6 to complete the second ruffle and side panel. Then stay-stitch around the neck 1/8" from edge (as illustrated below) to tack the ruffle and seams in place...


    8.) The front of your bib is complete...


    Attaching front to back: 

    1.) Now we are going to make a tasty bib sandwich with three layers of fabric. First lay the "quilt batting bib back" down. Next, lay the "bib front" right side up on top of the batting. Finally, lay the "bib back" right side down on top of the "bib front."

    2.) Using a 1/4" seam allowance sew all around the bib, leaving an opening (about 3 inches) at the bottom of the bib. Trim seams to 1/8" around entire bib -- except at the 3 inch opening.


    2.) Turn the bib right side out through the opening in the bottom of the bib and press. Slip-stitch the opening shut by hand.

    Finishing touches:

    1.) Sew little buttons onto the front of the bib approximately 1" from the top of the bib and 1" apart.

    2.) Attach snap according to package instructions to the ends of the bib. (Option: Velcro can also be used.)

76 comments:

Debbie said...

This bib is sooo cute! I'd love a copy of the pattern to make it for my new granddaughter. Thank you so much!

Joan and Kevin said...

Love your pattern it is great!
Thanks for the tutorial!

Southern Gal said...

Can't wait to sit down and create these sweet bibs! Thanks for sharing the pattern and tutorial.

Denise Lightfoot said...

So feminine and delicate - thanks for sharing your pattern/tutorial!

Linn said...

LOVE the ruffled version! So cute and feminine. Your creativity is over the top. Thanks for sharing and the great tut.

Leia Joaquim said...

Hi, I'm From Brasil!!! I Like so much for your job and your Blog!!! I want the pattern!!! Thank you and a big hug!!! My email is leiaglaucia@globo.com

Cheryl said...

I cannot wait to make these! I have a friend pregnant with twin girls and am going to make coordinating bibs for their sweet selves. Thanks as always!

rubelphotography said...

These are adorable, I'd love to have the pattern.
Thanks for all you do~
Lisa

rubelphotography said...

inhissvc@tds.net
Lisa

DeeDee said...

I have a grand-daughter due next month these are adorable.. please share the pattern with me..thanks so much

ddsdoubles at hotmail dot com

Margaret @ Chica es Artistica said...

I'm featuring this at my blog today! Come stop by, say hello, and grab a button!
http://chicaesartistica.blogspot.com

waldens4msu said...

This is really cute!! I look forward to making it for friends baby.

glassyladyks said...

Thank you so much for another great tutorial.

Maureen said...

These are so cute! I luv the utilitarian fabric with the floral!

Artful stitches said...

These bibs are adorable. I recently was blessed with a new great-granddaughter, and would love to make some of these. Please send me the pattern.

Thanks, and love your blog.
Sue

sdecosta1431@gmail.com

annemarie said...

Love this pattern and tutorial - thanks for sharing.

Kathie said...

Really cute bib and we have a couple of friends that just had baby girls!

Nancy said...

This is so sweet and dainty looking Suzanne..I would love to make some for my son's best friends new baby girl..Thanks!

Nana said...

I love the cute feminine bib pattern. You're so creative!
Thanks again for your willingness to share the pattern.

Heidi said...

What a cute bib! I love the ruffles.

Toqua's Crafts said...

That is a super cute bib!

countercrafts said...

Thank you for being so generous with your talent! I have two granddaughters (14 months and 9 months) and their Moms would like to have some of these! I would appreciate receiving the pattern, please. Thank you so much! Donna

Gail said...

It's adorable! Can't wait to make one!

Gail (malggl@comcast.net)

CandyCane said...

Suzanne ~ I am so excited that you are sharing your Bib Pattern with us :) Thank you so much...

Sue said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing.

ShersCrafty said...

Love this bib!!! I can't wait to make one for each of my two new nieces!! Thank you! :)

Belinda said...

thanks for the tutorial and pattern option for this adorable bib. I have three granddaughters and this is perfect. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

VickiT said...

Thank you so much for this adorable bib pattern. I love this and can't wait to make one myself for my 5 month old Granddaughter.

Amy said...

You have so many adorable projects! I've been making pocket pillowcases for my nephews (all 4 of them!) but this ruffled bib will be perfect for my new niece (finally a niece!) due in August! Thanks!

The White Silk Purse (Dana) said...

This is a darling bib pattern! I'd like one please!!

Cindi said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I have grand baby number 2 due this winter and would love to make some of these adorable bibs. Thanks!

sofietjes handwerken said...

i like it very much so i wont your patern please for the bib.
thand i can try it today.
greetings sofie from belguim

Galatina said...

This is gorgeous & perfect for the ton (not literally) of babies that my friends are having at the moment. Would love the pattern. Thanks.

Debbie said...

You are so sweet to offer up this sweet bib. I have a little great-granddaughter this would be perfect for.
Thanks so much.
I'm off to send you an email.

Thanks again,
Debbie

Lisa M said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely bibs. I am sure they are going to look beautiful on your new granddaughter - once she arrives in November, safe and sound.

Amy said...

Clever pattern! Thanks for taking the time to create a tutorial - much appreciated!
Amy

Kathy said...

Love the bib! Thanks for sharing your pattern! Sending you an email.

Collette said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to make some for my little granddaughter.

Dianna F said...

Too cute. I'll be making some of these soon.

lina said...

Il tuo tutorial e' davvero fantastico.....mi piacerebbe tantissimo ricevere il tuo tutorial!!! e' possibile?? sarei felice!!!! la mia mail
linadeidda@gmail.com...grazie!!!!!

liratara said...

good day
I love these bibs
I am a mother of Portugal, I have two twin daughters of one year and would like to do for them.
Please send me the tutorial to do for them.
Where do I send a photo
thank you
soussilveira@gmail.com
Maria Silveira

Relatives said...

This is just too cute. I can't wait to try it.

Tracey13 said...

This is so sweet. I have 3 new baby girls to make gifts for and this will definitely be part of it! Any ideas for a boy version??

Candise said...

Darling. Your directions are great and I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

I am constantly inspired by your creativity Suzanne. Thank you for sharing your patterns and ideas. This bib is beautiful and will make a wonderful baby present along with a Maggie for my friends newborn baby girl.

Sweet Bella Roos said...

These are super cute! Makes me wish I knew how to sew. Would love for you to link up at my Pin It Thursday Party http://www.sweetbellaroos.com/2012/07/19/pin-it-thursday3/

womanwithstixs said...

So sweet and adorable!

Charo Murciano said...

I like it to much, is lovely!
chmurciano@gmail.com
Gracias
Charo

CJ said...

What a GREAT bib! Love the ruffles. :)

michelle said...

I will make a baby boy version of this bib. Thanks!

smashknits.com said...

Love this! With every other friend popping out babies recently, I've been sewing up a storm when it comes to baby gear and this pattern will be a great addition. Thanks for a wonderful tutorial!

Youth Hostile said...

I have a girl on the way and some fabric to use up! Thanks for the cute tutorial!

Suzanne in TX said...

This is such a cute idea! I think it would be adorable made up in black (or navy) with white ruffles/buttons for a "tux-like" look, appropriate for little boys.

amoskin said...

So cute - love the linen one with the patterned ruffles especially!

Jennifer said...

Will be making one for my new niece. Hollyhousestudio@me.com.m

Alice said...

I LOVE the ruffled bib. Have a 4 month old granddaughter and can't wait to make some of these. Very nice tutorial - easy to follow and understand. Thanks!

Leslie Johnson said...

I would love to make one of these for my new granddaughter. So cute.

Tracy - The Material Girl said...

Thank you for the tutorial - I will email you for the pdf.

IRedS said...

LOVE, love love this bib. New granddaughter 2 weeks old would be perfect. Please email me the pattern.

susanvw said...

Your tutorials are so easy to follow. Thanks! These will be great for several of the co-workers who are expecting.

L3 said...

Love this!

Elaine Wilson said...

Your bib tutorial is adorable. I would love to make this for my grand daughter. Thanks for sharing!

Momma Lynne said...

What lovely things you make. I will be following your blog. Please send me the ruffled bib pattern.

Andrea said...

"If you are pleased"??? I'm not just pleased, I'm in love!

This is a beautiful idea, wonderfully executed and then laid out clearly in a great tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing it with everyone.

My email is on the way!

Sarah Johnson said...

Very cute! I look forward to making these for friends!

Sarah Johnson said...

Very cute! I look forward to making these for friends.

Zoe's Attic said...

Can't wait to make some for the new babies in the family!

Zoe's Attic said...

Can't wait to make some for the new babies in the family!

Judy Widick said...

Thank you for the cute bib pattern.
I see many possibilities with different fabrics.

Love to receive the pattern.

Judyonhill

Cherie said...

This is beautiful! Exactly what I have been looking for for our little girl on the way!

crummyd said...

I would love a copy of this pattern, too! Need to be prepared for grand baby no. 2!

countercrafts said...

Thank you for your generous sharing of the patterns. They are greatly appreciated by many! Take Care and God Bless! Donna

sutersociety said...

I much prefer a snap to velcro. Nicely done. I think I'll add piping for a boy one...

fairy454 said...

This is so sweet.

Colleen said...

I love this cute pattern. It would be great if you would share it with it me. thanks

jude3944 said...

THANK YOU i HAVE 2 NEW GREAT GRANDDAUGHTERS THIS YEAR THESE WILL BE CUTE