Monday, July 02, 2012

Bloomin' Tuesday @ Pike Market & Butchart Gardens

Last week my husband and I traveled with a small group of friends and relatives through Alaska's inside passage. On either side of that amazing cruise, we visited two locations with flowers galore, which is where I'm taking you to today for Bloomin' Tuesday.

Our cruise departed from the beautiful city of Seattle. We arrived there the day before so we could take in Pike Place Market and dine in the Space Needle that night. Pike Market is a century old farmer's market with almost 300 vendors. I thought you might like to see some of the gorgeous flowers for sale there. These huge bundles of flowers were priced around $19 a bunch. One can deduce that in the pacific northwest flowers are plentiful and well cared for...




Fast forward seven days to the last evening of our cruise and our final excursion to Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island, just north of Victoria.


In 1888 Robert Butchart began manufacturing Portland cement at Tod Inlet, on Vancouver Island. By the turn of the century he had become very successful, and in 1904 he and his wife, Jennie, established a home there. As the limestone was exhausted from the quarry near their home, Jennie conceived a plan to refurbish the bleak pit that had been created. Under Jennie's supervision top soil was delivered by horse and cart and in time the quarry blossomed into the spectacular Sunken Garden...








By 1908, a Japanese Garden resided on the sea-side of their home and the Italian Garden was added in place of the former tennis court...





Hope you enjoyed this different version of Bloomin' Tuesday this week!

Linked to:
Bloomin' Tuesday @ Ms. Green Thumb Jean's
Garden Tuesday @ Sidewalk Shoes
Tuesday Garden Party @ An Oregon Cottage

19 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wow - gorgeous! Thanks for sharing Suzanne!

Mia said...

I love those bouquets. So beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Butchart gardens. I didn't know the history behind it. What a cool story.

shez said...

Suzanne magnifecent garden and wonderful pics,oh what a sight,lucky you.xx

Lorrie said...

Butchart Gardens is about 10 minutes away from my house. I love going there in the different seasons. It's been so wet and cool this year so I hope you saw lots of blooms!

Ella said...

Wow that is one beautiful garden,thank you for sharing

Jillian said...

Now that is a garden! Very pretty pictures!

Crafty Gardener said...

Pike Place and Butchart Gardens are two of my absolute favorite places to go. Pike Place is just small enough a farmer's market to browse in an afternoon. And I Love the Blueberry Chutney from one of the vendors Canterberry Farms. Butchart is gorgeous. I believe I have a photo from just the same position as your shot of the Sunken Garden....beautiful.

Yael from www.HomeGardenDiggers.com

Debra said...

So beautiful!

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

You picked two West Coast highlights to see on your trip, that is for sure! Thank you for sharing all the wonderful pictures with us. I grew up on Orcas Island, which is a ferry boat ride away from Sidney, BC, and a stone's throw from Victoria and the gardens. Take care--have a lovely 4th!

Pam said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! Thank you for linking up!

Nancy said...

Jennie Butchart must have been an amazing Lady to create all of this beauty..amazing pictures Suzanne..

Holy Craft said...

I've lived in the Seattle area for a dozen years now and love Pike Place market. I always thought I would spend more time at the market as a "local" but we have so many quaint farmers market's (Pike place is almost reserved for the tourists), that are just as wonderful. And for less than $10 you can get gorgeous bunches of flowers.

My husband proposed to me at the top of the Space Needle before we even moved here. So it holds a special place in my heart.

It's a great city...if you can get over the dark and dreary days. We haven't even broken 70 degrees this June so it's fondly referred to as Juneuary. Not my favorite!

It looks like a great trip though!

Connie said...

I went to the Butchart gardens when I was about eight years old...definitely didn't appreciate it then. I also went as a young mother...appreciated it more but now you have me thinking I need to revisit as a more 'mature' adult. It is about 4-5 hours away from where I live. I have never been to Pike Place Market (hanging my head in shame because I live so close) so I will have to put it on my list of "must visit soon" places in the northwest.

So glad you enjoyed your visit.

Darla said...

Stunning! I'll take a garden over a tennis court anyday!

Debie Grace said...

What a beautiful garden! So dreamy!! :)

Deb said...

This has brought back so many memories.I'm in VA but visited a friend in WA state ten years ago. She took me to the Space Needle and Pike's market. We didn't have time to really do it justice. We also went over into Vancouver...walking off the ferry with a small suitcase. We didn't get to go to these beautiful gardens, but after seeing your gorgeous photos I certainly wish we'd been able to.

I so enjoyed your post today!!

daisy said...

Thanks for sharing this gorgeous place! I imagine it's a big improvement over what it first looked like!

Jean said...

Your photos are absolutely breath taking!What an namazing garden! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Jean

Diann said...

OMG! What stunning photos! Everything is absolutely gorgeous! Visiting from BT.