Wednesday, February 16, 2011

End Table Redo...


Usually my projects have more to do with a sewing machine than power tools, but this week has been the exception. Several months ago I bought a cute chunky end table at a thrift store, and I've been waiting for it to warm up a little to refinish it. I found it for $22 at a flea market in town. That was more than I would have liked to have spent. I'm cheap when it comes to used furniture, but it was solid maple with cute lines and curves, so I bought it anyway. Here's what it looked like when the purchase was made... (Try to ignore that "awesome" burgundy paint glopped on the top.)



The first order of business was to strip the stain, varnish and that awful burgundy paint off -- get 'er down to her birthday suit so to speak. Errr. Anyway, I had heard about a company in town that strips furniture. You take your item into the store, and the gentleman puts it into a big vat of nuclear waste paint and varnish remover. The paint remover sloshes around the item for awhile and when it comes out it is as clean as a whistle. It was worth every penny ($35). A (very) light sanding and she was ready to paint...



I sat around looking at that little table for the last couple of weeks trying to figure out how to paint it. I finally decided to paint it black. I love how black paint shows off the details of wood and how it shows up beautifully next to a lighter wall. Here's the new and improved chunky-monkey end table. 




I bought the paint at Home Depot and used a brush and sponge roller. This grayish-black concoction is a Martha Stewart paint, called "Francesca."  Love this paint. It covers beautifully and the color is so rich! 


Linked to:
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Fabulous Friday Finds @ Frou Frou Decor
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
FFA Friday @ Sassy Sites
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
20 Below Thursday @ Christina's Adventures
Hookin' Up with HOH @ House of Hepworths
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies &Jellybeans

33 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It looks beautiful! I really like the paint color you chose. Such a pretty, curvey piece!

Lauren said...

Before the piece was kind of drab but it now looks amazing! I love all the curves of the piece.

Julie Harward said...

Love it! Talk about bang for your buck...it's beautiful! ;D

Christine said...

It's beautiful. Did you spray paint it to make it so smooth? I can't see any paintbrush lines.

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

francesca-martha's dog.
wow! that stripping place sounds like a gem!
wondering how pricey it is. :)
your table looks fabulous! Oh my! so pretty!
gail

Nancy said...

LOVE it!!! Hey, doesn't your sister have a birthday coming up in a few weeks? (hint-hint)

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

It turned out just lovely! The lines are wonderful and the color is great!
xoxo,
Amy

Candace@craftysisters-nc said...

Your furniture painting is just as perfect as your sewing! I love that you took it to a professional with a vat of paint stripper...I wonder if there is one around here? :)

Lois--Huckleberry Lady said...

Love your "new" table. It amazes me how black can be beautiful.
Lois

Chris said...

I agree, the color is wonderful! What a great table.

Julie said...

You have a gift for seeing the potential. What a transformation, and I LOVE the black. That is what I would have done too. Beautiful!

Meg and Mum's said...

Your colour choice was spot on. It looks gorgeous :)

Traci said...

Your new chunky end table is gorgeous. I had no idea that dipping to removed paint and varnish was that reasonable but then again that may not be the case here in CA due to strict regulations.
Thanks for the info on Martha Stewart's paint. I picked up a color chart last time I was at HD. Do you know if it is low or no VOC?
Thanks for sharing,
Traci

Darla said...

What an improvement on this table!

Simple "T" said...

A little black always anchors a room and you have the perfect piece. I need to find one of those places that strips paint/stain.

You are quite talented!

Renee said...

I love your makeover posts!!! But, please tell me you weren't so good at everything/ productive when your kids were at home... I'm having one of those weeks! :)

The table is fantastic!!!

April Leigh Rinner said...

Gorgeous, I love this!

Denise said...

Beautiful finish!


Denise
Extreme Personal Measures

Shandra Lenae said...

This has such great balance. I love the masculine color on the feminine curves.

Autumn said...

It looks great and I love the color you chose! Thanks so much for sharing the name.

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Beautiful, and it's nice to see a change from all that overdone white refinished look that is on every DIY blog right now.

I like the darker color, and maybe it's the right color for a piece that I have at home right now.

Thanks for sharing.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Allison@FabRehab said...

Dreamy!! Nice job!

Elizabeth said...

It's fantastic, Suzanne!

What was in the of the company that did the "vat-style" stripping? Is is a company thing, a product thing or local for you only? I'd love more info so I could try to find a local Minneapolis place for a project like that.

Suzanne said...

Elizabeth,
The name of the company was "Dip n' Strip." I don't know if it is a national company. If not, you might want to call companies that refinish furniture and see how much they would charge. - Suzanne

Christina said...

This turned out beautiful!

Even though it wasn't under $20...for the $20 Below Party, I'm glad you shared it because of how pretty it is!! :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That turned out beautifully, Suzanne! I wish there was a place like that here ~ I have a child's table and chairs set that could use that sort of stripping.

Late Bloomers said...

I woulda' made 'er a dog bed... but that's me. LOL
Very cute as a table [still] as well!

And dip strip for $35? I wish!

Julie said...

I've never seen anyone take a table like that, and make it look like a table LIKE THAT!!! Gorgeous, Suzanne!!! WOWZERS!!! I say I will never stain wood again...I'm gonna take your lead!!!

Anne Fannie said...

That came out beautiful!!!

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

Lovely table!

Jean said...

Love the end table! I would love to have someone remove the paint, etc. That's always the worst job. Super idea for heating pads for kids! Adorable! Jean

Pam said...

Looks great.

Room to Inspire said...

It turned out great - and I am super jealous of the stripping place. I need to find me one of those!!!

Chelsea