Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Refinishing an Oak Pedestal Game Table... {Part 3}


When I last posted I had added the first of three coats of satin Spar Urethane {I use oil based} on the top of the oak pedestal game table I am refinishing.


I let that first coat dry for 24 hours, then lightly sanded the top by hand with 220 sanding paper, wiped off the table with a wet wipe, let it dry thoroughly, and added another coat of urethane. I use a brush when I apply urethane. A roller will leave little bubbles. Urethane is self-leveling so brush strokes will flatten as it dries. I went through that process one more time of adding urethane -- for a total of three coats -- before I decided the top coat was about as good as it could get. Then I used some grade 0000 steel wool and lightly "sanded" it. This will take off dust particles and leave your table top looking and feeling smooth to the touch...



Finally, I added one more step that I've never done before. I cut out a round piece of  terry cloth from an old towel and placed it under my orbital sander. Then I buffed up the table to a beautiful shine. I use a satin finish in the urethane which leaves you with a soft sheen. So pretty!



I also prepared the base of the table over the weekend by lightly sanding it. I'm going to spray paint the pedestal with a black satin primer and paint in one. You just need to rough up the surface of the item enough that the paint will adhere easily. I like using spray paint on furniture. It gets into nooks and crannies and doesn't leave brush strokes. Plus, it's so much faster! The only thing you need to worry about is putting on several light coats, rather than heavy coats, so the spray paint doesn't run.

I'd found early on that one of the casters the table rests on kept coming out. When I turned the table over to examine the casters, this is what I found...


In the first place those are so grungy they make me shiver, but, aside from that, not one of these casters matched! No wonder the table was a little wobbly. I bought four of these new "antique" casters. Hopefully, these will give us a level table...

I plan on painting the base pedestal in the next couple of days. I'm so excited to get this table finished and placed in our loft, so I can start beating my husband at Uno. {Rarely, if ever, happens.}

Wishing you a sun-filled week...