Monday, February 11, 2019

BAM-ana Corbread...


Last night we had some friends over for dinner, and I made enchiladas and cornbread. I've always used mashed bananas in my cornbread recipes because it not only adds a little bit of heavenly banana flavor, but it also adds moisture. {Some cornbreads are soooo dry.} I've tweaked the recipe over the years. Yesterday I used a little cake flour, and it was delish. I also use more almond milk than regular these days, so that is reflected in the recipe. I love serving this with honey butter that I make myself. Just beat 1 cup of butter and honey to your taste (around 2 - 3 tbsp.) in an electric mixer till it's light and fluffy. Yum! The cake flour gives the cornbread a wonderful texture, but if you don't have cake flour just use all-purpose.

 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups unflavored almond milk (or milk)
2 ripe mashed bananas

1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
7 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until batter is smooth. Pour into prepared baking dish.
3. Bake in a preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.