Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Bloomin' Tuesday...


The weather has finally warmed {for the most part} here in Colorado, so my garden has really started blooming! The last few weeks have been filled with potting plants, making wood planter boxes, reconditioning soil and planting flowers, watering, mowing lawns, etc. It seems as if there is always something to do, but I love working in the yard, so I'm good with that. So much of our yard is in flower beds and container plants that it takes a lot of time and money to get it going in the spring, but it's worth it. The other night the hubs and I had dinner on our backyard patio -- surrounded by a myriad of container plants, green grass, buzzing bees and Beau {our puppy}. It's little moments like that that I treasure. Here is a sampling of what's happening in our garden today...

A few of my grandkids gave me this adorable Mexican bull planter for Christmas. They know I love blue and white pottery and gardening, so this was the perfect gift for me...


Last week I got the impatiens planted off the patio in our backyard. These impatiens looks scrawny right now, but in a month they will be lush and beautiful and fill in that whole area.


We have a high school in our town that specializes in career and technical education. Kids from all over the district can take classes, like horticulture, at this school. At the end of the school year, they sell a huge variety of flowers and vegetable plants that they've grown. They are beautiful plants at a great price. I bought almost all my flowers and tomato plants at this sale this year. Here are a few examples of the containers I planted with flowers from this school.




It seems like a yard will go for years without the need of major renovation, and then suddenly a complete overhaul needs to take place. That's what happen in our yard this year. Two large mounds filled with junipers had to be taken out and were replaced with new soil, a border of large rocks, and perennials. We also took out four large planter boxes that had rotted with age. These planters were filled with roses bushes. I love roses, but they never did well in that shaded location.  We made four new cedar boxes and planted impatiens that will fill the boxes and thrive in that shady location.



Today I plan on weeding {it never ends!} this little perennial flower bed by my front door and planting some diascia. They thrive in the only sunny spot in this flower bed!