Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bloomin' Tuesday: Succulent Window Garden...

Our family has been thrown a few curve balls these last couple of years. I know that isn't anything unusual. I don't know a family that hasn't had some type of serious issue lately. It's an epidemic, but I've felt like we've spent time in the major leagues -- fast balls, curve balls, strike outs. I yearn for a little down time playing t-ball with 4 year olds and getting some easy home runs.

When life seems a bit overwhelming, I often turn to gardening. It lifts my spirit and satisfies my creative bent. February in Colorado isn't exactly the best time to do yard work. In a few months I'll be wrist-deep in dirt planting impatiens and tomatoes, but in the middle of winter I have to concentrate on inside gardens if I want that calming, creative influence in my life.

I have a corner window in my kitchen that houses a variety of blue and white pottery that I've collected over the years. I pick up items here and there (often at thrift stores) that strike my fancy.

Occasionally, I've received a few pieces as gifts...

The other day I decided to put them to better use and fill them with succulents. Here are some of the containers that I used. Gravy boats, different sized pitchers, and other odd sized containers became receptacles for these gorgeous succulents.

I love the feeling of bringing the outside indoors.

These plants will do beautifully in our window, and when it gets warmer outside and they've outgrown their containers, I will plant them in our garden to enjoy over the spring and summer.

Go here, here and here for more succulent posts!


Julie said...

This succulent fanatic LOVES your creative garden for winter! Awesome!!!

kr said...

I'm sorry you've had a rough couple of years. I've missed you and your sewing posts. I'm not a gardener myself (I do it out of necessity)but I appreciate your lovely garden.