Monday, November 11, 2013

Lil' Boy Car Caddy...

The hubs and I are purchasing presents for 31 people this year for Christmas. Not even kidding. That number includes each other, our parents, the kids, the kids-in-law, the girlfriend, and the grandkids. Ordinarily I might feel a little overwhelmed, but I actually feel really good because I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping. Most years I scurry around at the last minute, but I plan on having everything bought and mailed before Thanksgiving.

On Friday I made two Lil' Boy Car Caddies for my two-year-old grandsons. I'd made these a couple of years ago for some of the older grands...


This little caddy (16" x 9") is a case for hot wheel cars. It's the perfect gift to help a little guy keep busy when he's out and about. There's a little "garage" for each car and a road for the cars to travel on...


To make this Car Caddy I followed the instructions at "Homemade by Jill," but I made a few alterations. I used a snap closure instead of Velcro. In addition, I didn't use felt because I wanted it to be washable, and I lined all the pieces (except the "garage" pockets) with fusible fleece to give it more durability. If there's one thing I know after raising five boys, it's that little-boy-toys need to be durable!


To store this caddy, tuck each car in a "garage" (pocket) and fold in half lengthwise...


Then fold the length in thirds and snap shut. I use a closure with a center release snapping buckle. When folded up the caddy is only 4.5" x 5".


Hopefully these Lil' Boy Car Caddies will be miles of fun for our two-year-old grandsons!


FYI: Fabrics used for this project: