Monday, November 11, 2013

Lil' Boy Car Caddy...

The hubs and I are purchasing presents for 31 people this year for Christmas. Not even kidding. That number includes each other, our parents, the kids, the kids-in-law, the girlfriend, and the grandkids. Ordinarily I might feel a little overwhelmed, but I actually feel really good because I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping. Most years I scurry around at the last minute, but I plan on having everything bought and mailed before Thanksgiving.

On Friday I made two Lil' Boy Car Caddies for my two-year-old grandsons. I'd made these a couple of years ago for some of the older grands...


This little caddy (16" x 9") is a case for hot wheel cars. It's the perfect gift to help a little guy keep busy when he's out and about. There's a little "garage" for each car and a road for the cars to travel on...


To make this Car Caddy I followed the instructions at "Homemade by Jill," but I made a few alterations. I used a snap closure instead of Velcro. In addition, I didn't use felt because I wanted it to be washable, and I lined all the pieces (except the "garage" pockets) with fusible fleece to give it more durability. If there's one thing I know after raising five boys, it's that little-boy-toys need to be durable!


To store this caddy, tuck each car in a "garage" (pocket) and fold in half lengthwise...


Then fold the length in thirds and snap shut. I use a closure with a center release snapping buckle. When folded up the caddy is only 4.5" x 5".


Hopefully these Lil' Boy Car Caddies will be miles of fun for our two-year-old grandsons!


FYI: Fabrics used for this project:



4 comments:

pasqueflower said...

What a wonderful gift for a little boy!! All my sons and grandsons loved their tiny cars when they were little.

Vickie said...

That is the cutest !

margaret said...

can see little boys loving the car caddies, a lovely idea. So many presents to buy wow I only have 2 daughters and one granddaughter and all they want is money so that makes life easy, just as well as could not afford to give to anyone else anyway.Hope to spend Xmas with them but the younger daughter is a nurse and thinks she will be on a 12 hour shift Xmas day so we might be having ort lunch Boxing day instead

Tiffany said...

How adorable! I'm seriously considering making a set for my two year old boys. I might even copy your fabric choice, those are PERFECT!