Monday, August 26, 2013

Garage Renovation Continued...


I didn't realize when we started this project that it would end up being as extensive as it has become. Among the many things I've learned, the most obvious is that a garage is a very large "room." Painting the ceiling and walls has taken me almost two weeks. I usually paint rooms in a fraction of that time, but with one coat of primer on the never-been-painted drywalls and two coats of paint it was a bit of an ordeal. The fact that we had to move all the items in the garage from one side of the garage to the other side two times to facilitate easier painting also added to the longer paint schedule. Last week I finished the painting though, so I am one happy camper. We've gone from unfinished walls that we insulated and ceilings that I primed...


...to drywalled and primed walls...



...to fully primed and painted ceiling and walls.


We chose to paint the ceiling with an eggshell finish rather than a flat finish like I use on the ceilings in our home. I wanted to be able to wipe cobwebs from the ceiling with a broom, and I knew if I did that on a ceiling that was painted with a flat finish it would leave marks. I chose Kilz Pro-X 330 Interior Paint Eggshell in white for the ceiling. For the walls I chose a silver gray color. I wanted something that wouldn't show dirt and scuffs, and I think I chose the perfect color -- Behr Premium Plus Ultra Eggshell in "Classic Silver." 


This color is perfect for a garage because the silver-gray has an "industrial" feel to it. Here's a photo that shows the difference between the white ceiling and the silver gray walls better...


The next order of business is to trim the door going out to our backyard and put in upper cabinets on the other side of the garage. 



We really lucked out one evening when we were searching for upper cabinets for the garage. We were at Lowe's and they had two floor model multi-purpose cabinets that had just been marked down. We bought them both. This one is normally $80 -- we got it for $20...


And, this one is a little larger and normally $120. We got it for $30...


Amazing deals! Plus, they were already assembled. {Yay} I've designated the smaller one to use for all my spray paint and painting supplies.

All this garage stuff has been great, but the big news at our house last week was the arrival of our 13th grandbaby -- a boy. We now have a baker's dozen! We are so thrilled that he arrived safe and sound and that he and his mother are doing well. I'm so grateful for these little ones in our lives.