Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Repurposed Centerpiece

Last month I created a centerpiece with a wooden tray, a floral urn, and a large candle for my Thanksgiving dining room table. I loved the size and shape of that piece, so for Christmas I wanted to repurpose some of those same items and create a decoration for our living room table.

I started with the same darkly stained wooden tray...

and the flower urn that I used for the Thanksgiving centerpiece.

Then, I bought an inexpensive glass hurricane-style candle holder at Hobby Lobby, kind of like this one, for half off...cause I'm cheap. And smart.

I filled up the urn with some polished river rocks I keep around the house. I wanted those rocks to help "secure" the hurricane and boost it up a bit. Then I "planted" the hurricane and filled the edges with moss. Next, I added a little greenery and berries around the base of the urn...

Then, and this was the tricky part, I made it snow. Right into that hurricane lamp. Don't ask me how. It's a trade secret.

And I plopped some bright, red Christmas balls right in the middle of that snow...

And that, my friends, is how this repurposed centerpiece came to be.

Today I'm linking to "Show & Tell" at Blue Cricket Designs.

6 comments:

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Very pretty & I love the snow!

Rebecca D. said...

I am in LOVE with fake snow right now!!! So cool!!!

Becca

MiaKatia said...

Andi and I did something similar with my apothacary jar this weekend. Great minds! I'll send you a picture.

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

I've got fake snow. Want to fill my one large jar with it and red balls. The small jar with old fashioned peppermint sticks.

Jean said...

Great way to transform a center piece! Another super idea! Jean

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

I am busy catching up on everyone's posts. That is really lovely, and very colorful. Great idea.

Jen